If all else fails, why not let the recipient make their own choice and give them one of Abbelio Wine’s gift vouchers instead?
The Casual Drinker
The Casual Drinker likes to drink more then collect wine. He or she enjoys reasonably priced French, Italian and New World wines and drinks both red and white wines. For the Casual Drinker, we suggest a mixed case to give them a variety of wines suitable for many occasions – for example:
- Sevenhill Starter Case – a variety of wines from the oldest winery in Australia’s Clare Valley (some vines are over 150 years old!), including 92, 93, 94 and 96 point wines! $1,408 for 6 bottles (Save $160)
The Explorer rarely buys the same wine twice. He or she is always on the lookout for something new. Whether it is a new region, new producer or new grape variety, the Explorer will be excited to try. Unusual wines can be hard to locate, however Abbelio Wines has some great examples, such as:
- 2007 August Kesseler Lorcher Schlossberg Riesling Auslese: - Wine Spectator review from April 30th 2009: Score 93: Light as a feather and intensely flavored, showing grapefruit, honey, quince and spice notes. Bracing and taut, finishing on the austere side now. Needs time. Best from 2012 through 2035. 132 cases made.–BS HK$370/bottle.
- 2011 Velvety Napa Cabernet Sauvignon: Velvety is a new wine brand, sourcing the best grapes and wine from the Napa Valley. The 2011 Velvety Napa Cabernet Sauvignon is one of their first wines and it is already a classic! Despite its youth, it is very easy to drink, but bursting with flavour and complexity. Try it once and you will be back for more! Decanter Magazine Commended. HK$310/bottle.
The Classic Collector
The Classic Collector is a serious collector of classic wines. He or she primarily collects Bordeaux, but is increasingly likely to buy Burgundy and well-known Italian wines. Buying for a Classic Collector can be a challenge, however you can’t go wrong sticking to well known red wines such as the following:
- 1997 Tenuta Guado al Tasso (Antinori) Bolgheri Superiore. This is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah. Three international varieties that have picked up a healthy dose of Italian flare. The fruit is ripe and sweet with hints of dark chocolate, balsamic and fig jam. 96 points. HK$1,688.
- 1999 Chateau Lynch Bages. A delightful, classic Claret with vibrant hedgerow fruits with touches of herb and charcoal. It may not have the density and length of some of the more powerful vintages but its quality is undeniable. 90 points. HK$1,288.
Good luck with your gift giving!