The Most Popular Types of Red Wine
Posted on July 23, 2017 by Abbelio Wines | 0 comments
Cabernet and Merlot are among the key types of red wines and also both of the most popular. Full list is as follows:
- Cabernet Sauvignon - They are generally big, full bodied and tannic. Like 2010 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley and 2012 Sevenhill Inigo Cabernet Sauvignon
- Merlot - These medium-bodied wines are less tannic than Cabernets. We carry some e.g. 2013 Pitchfork Cabernet Merlot Margaret River and 2011 Proposal Merlot Reserve.
- Pinot Noir - This red wine is growing and expanding very fast and pinots are typically medium to light bodied with a soft tannic structure. We carry 2012 Tukipo River Estate Fat Duck Pinot Noir and 2010 Wild South Pinot Noir.
- Syrah (Shiraz) - Syrahs have great forward fruit flavors with a hint of pepper and spice. We carry 2009 Sevenhill Brother John May SJ Reserve Shiraz and 2010 The 8th Estate Winery Shiraz.
Other Types of Red Wine
You may also try some other reds when you want to taste something new.
- Sangiovese – Planted the most widely in Italy.
- Chianti - Arguably the most well known of the Italian wines. Chianti is a wine region and not a grape. It is made from a blend of grapes including: Sangiovese, Caniolo, Trebbiano and Malvasia. We carry 2013 and 2014 Contea di Lucca Chianti.
- Barolo - These are the biggest and boldest of Italian reds. High tannin levels, with a little rough for young Barolos but soften with age. We carry 2009 Silvano Bolmida Barolo Bussia.
- Montepulciano – Medium bodied fruit flavors with a hint of floristic tone. We carry 2014 Talamonti Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.
- Bordeaux - most famous wine region worldwide. We carry many Bordeaux reds. e.g. 1996 Chateau Lynch Bages, 2011 Chateau Le Pey.
- Burgundy - red Burgundies are complex and have flavors of ripe dark berries.